Friday, June 08, 2007

Poetry ...at last

A co-worker and I were bitching about teaching the other day. Actually, I guess I was bitching about it and she was listening and just keeping a straight face and nodding "Uh huh, uh huh," the whole time. I was saying how I used to write all the time, mostly poetry although I did write some really short narrative pieces. It basically comes down to this: my job (and students!) have sucked the creativity out of my brain. Seriously, one of those little bastards from my first year of teaching is now walking around with my creativity in their mind... well, maybe not.

We can say, "Make time if it's important," "Make time for yourself," blah blah blah. But it doesn't happen all too often...at least not with me.

The other night, after the whole bacon/food frenzy fiasco, I fell asleep for 3+ hours. This led to me being wide AWAKE at midnight and after. I actually wrote a "pome" [I hate when people pronounce it like that]. It's kind of teen angsty, but I'm proud of myself. Still could use some editing.

My eyes used to be bright,
Wide open like a child.
Contemplative repose
mixed with excitement.
Hundreds of blue flecks
collided together
and exploded
into vivid orbs.
There was celebration in my eyes.

Now the bright blue
has been splashed with a milky gray,
disappointment casting a shadow.

I sometimes purposely
try to open my eyes wide.
If I look as if I feel wonder,
then maybe I will.

You can only try so many times,
to widen something
that has undoubtedly been closed.

No comments: