Sunday, February 10, 2013

Does anyone like this place?

I've been in an anti-Jersey mood lately, even moreso than usual. I just wonder how many people out there actually "love" this state versus the amount of people who are here because of closeness to family members or closeness to abundant salaries.

NJ souvenirs include the ubiquitous "Jersey girls don't pump gas" tees.  Honestly, the fact that I don't have to pump gas is an added bonus in the cold winter months, but I'd survive if I had to  pump my own. There's always the Jersey shirts that declare messages about being a tough, badass person. I don't think of tough, badass people when I think of NJ. Instead, I think of fast-talking, self-involved people who simply like to put on an act of being tough.

I just can't imagine what people love about this state. We're known for having the highest population density. We're also known for being a shopping mall mecca. Also, Nj has a higher incidence rate for both cancer and deaths from cancer.

When I think of this state, I think of the word "wasteland." I haven't read TS Eliot's work of the same name (I'm assuming that he, in fact, "invented" that word) since college, but I feel the sudden need to go back and read it.

The people who "love" this state are the ones who have their beach houses and exclusive memberships to small tracts of land on which they can golf, ride horses, or do other activities for which other states have tons of space.

I can't imagine being here for my entire life. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll follow you.

Anonymous said...

You should do the friend connect with the little pictures. Sorry to be a pain...