Friday, August 15, 2014

Inspirational Memes and Daily Emails

I used to get a daily email called something along the lines of "Happiness Quote of the Day." The quotations were lovely and supposedly inspirational, but after awhile I unsubscribed from the email list. Don't get me wrong--I love quotations, in general. Since I was thirteen years old, I've kept quotation journals filled with lovely sentiments, favorite lines from novels, and so forth. I just found that when I got the daily email, I'd read the quotation, nod my head in agreement, and then just kind of go on with my day. It didn't impact me too much. I also have this habit of hoarding emails, so those quotations would just stay in my inbox for ages.

Filling our lives with too many "inspirational" memes or posts can probably produce the opposite effect of motivating us. I see people all the time who post words of wisdom on Facebook, but then I never see them following through with those words of wisdom. If you're posting a quote about changing your life, then perhaps over the course of time that I've known you, there should be some kind of change in you (life habits, career, education, ...something).

I'm not against inspirational quotations, but instead of posting tons of daily memes, what about walking around with a scant amount of them perpetually in your mind?

I have a few quotations that I keep in my permanent memory. These have been with me for years---now that I am in my 30s, I can even say that these quotes have been with me for over a decade.

"Humor will act as a catalyst to purify the tragic"-- Aristotle
This one has been part of me since my last year of high school. I feel that it works well with my life b/c I've had so many screwed up things happen (although who hasn't?). Sometimes, I just have to poke humor at those occurrences. I feel like Augusten Burroughs would ascribe to the sentiment in the above quote too.

"In the midst of winter, I realized that within me there lay an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus
Camus' quotation reminds me of Aristotles---this idea of finding strength and aspiring to freedom when there is chaos and struggle around you.

"Carpe diem."
I try to follow this one, but sometimes I'm just lazy ;-)

"Procrastinators unite!!!!.... tomorrow"
(my mode of thinking when I do not seize the day).

Listed below are some favorite quotations from my "teen" quotation book. Ah, youth. Also...look at that handwriting...way neater than the crap penmanship kids have nowadays.

Add cWhy the hell I chose to save this quote and write it down, I have no idea. I live in NJ. We're known for malls more than anything else. The one nature hike I took in my life was a required one. My friend faked an asthma attack so that our nature hike could end early.

Clearly, this quotation makes sense if anyone sees my photos from high school...overweight...acne...and I wore dude clothes, boxer shorts and all....

Sweet.... a poem by Ralph Fletcher...I used to love cheesy poems like this...I still do. 






No comments: