Friday, April 06, 2012

30/30 Challenge... a few days late

Read a blog post about a poetry writing challenge for April. The idea is to compose a poem each day of the month. I found a site, http://wordxwordfestival.com/challenge/index.html, that gives daily prompts for writers. While the idea of using prompts bothers me (I'd much rather come up with my own ideas), it does help with getting the writing process started.

This is my poem for 4/5...and yes, I realize that today is 4/6. The prompt was "then and now."

Then and Now


Alert, curious azure eyes taking in her surroundings
Straying eyes that look for escapes from reality

Words sputtering from a mouth, bubble-like, one after another
Thoughts perpetually contained, anxious and unrefined

Digital numbers inviting her to welcome the day’s possibilities
Mind-numbing lists of tasks to do and people to tolerate

Roads to traverse, feeling newly turned earth beneath her feet
Old, cracked dirt piled atop her dreams.  




No comments: