Sunday, April 01, 2012

Modern Chaos

There are many times during the week when the following chant repeats in my mind: "the chaos of the modern world." This mini-chant does not occur once or twice within the week, but at least 10-15 times.

I savor silence. Even when my surroundings are classifiable as quiet, I can still sense noises around me: the sputtering of the gutter outside when rain droplets trickle onto it; the soft buzzing noises that the turned-on computer makes; the sounds of cars passing by outside; the sound of lawnmowers and other yard equipment being used at houses, even distances away...

When I am at work, I am most productive when barely anyone is left in the building. Interestingly, during my prep periods within the school day, I always have music playing in the background. Once the school is almost empty, I just grade papers and plan lessons with silence.

It seems like I would be a prime candidate for nature-living... like Thoreau. I don't feel that comfortable amidst nature though and, as foolish as it may seem, my mind churns with visions of being mauled by bears or something else catastrophic. I am "ok" with being a suburban person...but just wish silence were more frequent.


No comments: