Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chock full of yams

Yesterday, late afternoon into the entire evening, Storm "Janus" hit NJ and nearby regions. I am agreeable to the naming of hurricanes and tropical storms; the tradition, if one can call it that, goes back to the early 1950s. The naming of snowstorms is another situation though; I just don't feel that it's necessary to turn every meteorological event into some sensationalized news event.

We didn't get too much snow, maybe 4-6 inches. It was the light, powdery snow---easy to shovel. Today, a delayed opening for school turned into a full closing. I had visions of productivity in my mind for ways on how I would spend the day. I didn't have too many lofty goals: reading more in John Green's Paper Towns, going to the gym, and cleaning out my "old" work tote bag and moving everything into my new totebag (probably the task that would take the longest---the "old" tote bag is like a time machine---there's probably papers in there from when we bought the house in 2009).

My day turned into full-on slovenliness. I played Bookworm on the computer, watched Beautiful Girls  on Netflix, and ate yams. Yes, I said it; I ate yams. I've been on this yam kick recently--I've even been eating them raw.

Now, it's 7:30 at night and I basically wasted the day away. The wacky thing is that I feel incredibly exhausted right now. I'm basically tired from doing nothing. My eyes are glazed over from looking at the television, computer screen, and smartphone screens throughout the day's duration.

Even though I am in no mood to do it, I'm off to the gym in a few minutes. They weren't kidding about the cold spell either. I walked outside a few minutes ago and it was dreadfully cold. Maybe I am just getting older, but I don't recall winters being this miserable years ago. It's "biting cold weather" and the meteorologists say it will last for a week or so this time. In the blunt words which I relayed to my co-worker yesterday: I fucking hate snow.


No comments: