Monday, February 16, 2015

Things that I loathe about my gender...

Today, John commented to me, "I think we get along so well because although there are parts of you that are 'girly,' you essentially dislike the same things about women that I dislike."

This comment was the effect of a conversation we had about various female quirks that I loathe. To me, the thing I detest most about my gender is how we obsess over discussions of weight and negative body imagine. This was extremely apparent yesterday. I went to the movies to see 50 Shades of Grey. Yes, I'm fully aware of the film's controversy. I'm not sure I fully understand claims of the film focusing on rape or manipulation. Although Anastasia, the protagonist, is wary of Christian's Grey's interests, she consents to participating with Christian. At the end of the film, (spoiler alert), she no longer agrees with Christian's proclivities and therefore leaves him.

Okay, so film discussion aside...there were several women behind me who were talking before the movie started. There were four of them, but the one who talked the most said the things that irritated me the most. Some of her comments included the following: "I avoid carbs. And sugars. Foods need less than 10 grams of sugar for me to have them. If sugar is double digits, then the proteins must be double digits too... When I buy bathing suits, it's a pain. I need bandeau tops, but then I need boy shorts to cover my belly. My belly is so big...." There were other comments, but they luckily disappeared from my memory.

I don't want to assume or prejudge, but I doubt that men spend time discussing about how they dislike their bodies. They might talk about protein intake and increasing musculature, but I don't think there is any body shaming.

Many women spend time in conversations discussing carbs, gluten, Weight Watchers, juicing, etc. It needs to stop. There's enough people out there who have a prejudice toward women. We don't need to have a prejudice toward ourselves.

I don't understand it. I've been "overweight" (according to traditional health guidelines like BMI charts) for most of my life. Do I ever spend time reading and/or discussing health or weight loss? Yes. If I had to calculate a percentage, it would be that no more than 5% of my life is focused on that aspect of me. Furthermore, I'm more likely to read things independently and take in the information than discuss them with a friend.

By no means do I consider myself an optimist, but my gender needs to spend more time focusing on positive elements of life. Other things that many females do also irritate me... saving them for another post. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't do groups at the movies. That would be my pet peeve. They don't shut up.