Saturday, December 09, 2006

Weird cat lady gets weirder

This afternoon I had a food craving for Indian food. Food cravings don't occur too often with me- sure, I get certain cravings when watching TV and seeing commercials.... but generally, I don't "act" upon those urges.

Went to the Indian restaurant near our apartment and got the lunch buffet...Chicken Tikka Masala, Naan, and various other foods that I do not know by name.

Eating at a restaurant alone is kind of weird. I felt like everyone was watching me and wondering, "Why is she here alone?" Three things crossed my mind...things they could have been thinking:
1] she is completely antisocial and weird...but happens to like Indian food
2] she is bulimic--one of those people who you see on Tyra Banks' show or something... she binges by herself...and will soon proceed to go into the bathroom
3] she is a member of OverEaters Anonymous and is "getting her fix" right now.

I obviously think too much.

Eating alone is kind of cool...it feels a bit liberating...the fact that you do not need company in order to enjoy the ambiance of a restaurant. I know some friends who always feel the need to be with other people when they go shopping, to the movies, etc. I quite like being alone...

Shortly after I was there, a guy came in and had lunch by himself too. He was in the booth near mine and instead of having his back face me, his face was facing me. I thought that was odd.

As I left the restaurant, I heard a student say hi to me. The student was there with her whole family. It was odd, unexpected. I mean, it wasnt like I was at Friday's or Bennigan's or something...this is a small Indian restaurant in the middle of a stripmall that features Dress Barn and Marshalls. I quickly replied, "Hi" back to the student.

I know my students think of me as cat lady. I never mention John because teaching is one of those professions where "the system" likes to be conservative and traditional---people living together BEFORE marriage? What an unorthodox idea!

Now instead of being "cat lady," I will be weird cat lady who had mid-day binges of Indian food...by herself. Oh well. :)

No comments: