Monday, October 31, 2011

Nightmare Before Halloween, 2011

I can't take credit for that clever entry title.  It was the heading for the Star Ledger's front page article on Sunday, 10/30.

So-- we have been without heat or power since late afternoon on Saturday. I'm trying to look at things humourously- what else can I do? I read part of Bram Stoker's Dracula by candlelight on Saturday night-- how truly apropos. I've been eating a steady amount of Greek yogurt mixed in with semi-frozen strawberries. Freshly purchased meat was placed in a cooler outside, with ice cubes and piles of snow. Foolishly, I did not think about the possibility of a bear scavenging for food and finding the cooler. The cooler was moved to the garage before said bear could get to it. My phone fell into a snowbank and once the snow melts, some possible lucky person will have access to pictures of a shirtless, "cut" John.

The entire humor of this situation rests upon the theory that there is a Halloween "curse" associated with John. During the course of our relationship, he has only purchased costumes on two occasions. The one year which he purchased a plus size Geisha girl costume and was planning on going "gung ho" with the whole costume idea was the same Halloween that my grandmother passed away. Fast forward to years later and the instance in which John buys the barely covered Greek warrior costume is the same time at which a freakish autumnal snow storm occurs. Clearly, the man should never buy a costume again.

So.... it's now Monday and we still have no power. Whenever I breathe inside the house, I can see the small circles that my breath forms. Also, today I am going to test out Costco's amazing return policy by returning the meats that we bought Saturday (still, somehow, basically frozen). I want to see if I can get my 50 bucks back.

Someone I know from Rockaway Township Fire Dept. says power will not be up in Rockaway until Friday! John's parents finally got power back. So....worst case scenario is...staying at in-laws and having access to laundry facilities, utter warmth, and kickass food:) I'll take it.

No comments: