Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ruminations on Belly Dancing

Tonight was class #2 of belly dancing. As usual, with any class that requires rhythm or coordination, I proved to be mediocre. I honestly want to ask my mother if I had issues with "my right" and "my left" when I was a child---as an adult, I have no kinesthetic intelligence. When everyone turns to the right, I am turning to the left. When people have their left arms flailing in the air, my right arms are flailing. I had to have experienced some developmental delay as a child---HAD to...

At one point in the class, four of us had to perform the "routine" at the same, while the remaining members of the class watched. There a slight applause after our group went; honestly, I think they were clapping because they realized that someone in the class could now officially be crowned "the worst," thus making themselves feel better. It's okay to be poor at something, so long as you are not the worst.

Me, I revel in being mediocre when it comes to physical tasks. I just laugh at myself and have fun with it. While  I struggled with shoulder shimmies, the instructor asked, "Haven't you ever been coy or flirty with someone? That's what shoulder shimmies are like." I turned toward Jess and whispered, "Thank god I met John on the Internet...sexy dances move would have gotten me nowhere with men."

At this point, I am so happy that I am at a point in my life where I can laugh at my lack of rhythm and coordination. I think back to high school gym class, any element of it, and moments were completely miserable. I could not catch a ball, run at a decent pace, or even keep up with the movements in step aerobics. Belly dancing is crazy challenging, but I am just having fun with it. I haven't said "fuck" once during the class, so that's an additional positive sign.

Besides, I already have a solution for my bad dance moves:I am going to get breast implants and buy a kickass corset. That way when I belly dance, I will give the illusion of amazing dance skills with my jutting curves:)

No comments: