Monday, November 28, 2011

Karaoke...to help ease a case of the Mondays

I've tried a variety of things to get myself prepped for Monday mornings: drinking copious amounts of caffeine...mixing copious amounts of caffeine with a small dose of caffeine tablets... making sure that I have every possible element of my work day planned or packed away in advance (clothing choice, lunches, gym clothes, etc)...even spastically jumping up and down on a trampoline in hopes of "energizing" myself.

Nothing works. I suck at Mondays. Despite living four miles from work, having an extremely quiet homeroom, and having a well-behaved 1st period class, I still suck at Mondays.

Therefore, if I normally am still wide awake on Sunday night (basically always an occurrence...since year one of teaching I have not even contemplating going to sleep until at least 11:30, i.e. when the old Fox Five reruns of Seinfeld ended).

Last night was goth night @ karaoke. I generally go to karaoke anyway, but took special excitement in walking out of my house at 9:30 on a Sunday night, clad in black and deep red. Garnet hair extensions, black shirt with white and red mermaid design, short skirt, leggings, Doc Martens, and dark makeup composed the entire look. While driving to karaoke, I made certain to stay within the speed limit... I couldn't really envision the scene of being pulled over by a cop and looking how I looked.

So... I went to karaoke... tested out a new song (AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long") and realized my voice is nowhere near whatever Angus Young's "range" is. Secondly, I sang The Donnas' "Take It Off"- they obviously are shitty singers because whenever I sing their songs, I sound good. That's my gauge for assessing singers' talents...if I can karaoke their song and make it sound good, they obviously are horrible.

Got home at 1, shimmied restlessly in the bed for awhile, and then fell asleep. I woke up around 6:20 and, reluctantly, got ready for work. Although I had washed off most of the makeup, some of the dark eyeliner remained on my face... the hilariousness of the fact that leftover goth makeup actually made my "work makeup" look better.

No comments: