Sunday, January 21, 2007

Here comes the ballad of Hurricane...

Have been having my students read/study Robert Lipsyte's Contender. I love this book... it's about an African-American boy, Alfred in 1960s Harlem. He is trying to "be somebody" vias the means of professional boxing. If Lipsyte took a different route, the book could have been very artificial, without any lasting power. There's so much more to the book than simply sports though... There's the race relations in 1960s America, gangs, black nationalist movement, single parents, drug addiction, etc. I've been watching/reading a lot of material about 1960s America, in addition to information on professional boxers since covering Contender.

Last night I watched Hurricane, the 1999 movie with Denzel Washington. It was amazing. I never had heard of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter before and during the entire movie, the gears of my mind kept turning. I never even knew that the Bob Dylan song "Hurricane" was connected to Rubin Carter.I can actually say I don't think i ever paid much attention to the lyrics.... It's amazing how you could hear a song over and over and not realize the seriousness of the song's implications.

I tracked down a copy of Carter's autobiography THE 16TH ROUND. It's near impossible to find...out of print online...available at places like half.com for 65 dollars or more... and a scant few copies available. Found a copy of it at MSU's library. I realize that films can move us and sway our opinions and make us come to conclusions/realizations...but I don't think the learning should stop at a film. I've looked around online and have seen some websites claiming inaccuracies in the film. I am even more aware of the fact that online sites/sources can sway people's views/include false statements... Now, I want to read Carter's autobiography, his actual words, and learn more. I'm also now more interested in other overturned trials/convictions ... looking to read John Grisham's [nonfiction]: The Innocent Man- Murder and Injustice in a Small Town...

3 comments:

Robert said...

Naturally, I loved your comments on The Contender. So glad you're teaching it. On Hurricane, however: I covered the fight in which Hurricane loses, according to the movie, because of a racist boxing official's decision (it's important because the implication is that it tipped him over into totally distrusting everyone)and the truth is Carter really did lose that fight - when I interviewed him right afterward he was sheepish about how badly he had fought. You're right about the power of film and music.
all best,
Robert Lipsyte

plethoria said...

Is this seriously Robert Lipsyte? If so, then my heart has skipped several beats!!!

marcxopoco said...

Hurricane Carter was a mediocre fighter who didn't belong in the same ring with championship middleweights like Dick Tiger and Joey Giardello--as his fights with them showed.

Carter lost twice to welterweight Luis Rodriguez. Holly Mims beat Carter thoroughly including knocking Carter down, and they gave Carter the "decision."

Bob Dylan didn't have a clue what a mediocre fighter Carter was, or that Carter was guilty.

The Hollywood movie on Carter was fictional garbage, designed to sell an agenda at the expense of the truth. Denzell Washington should have been ashamed to be connected to such garbage.

Robert Lipsyte is a longtime New York TIMES shill for Ali.

Legitimate boxing deserves better than Carter, Dylan, Hollywood, and Lipsyte.
.