Saturday, January 27, 2007

pondering the mall

Went to the mall today to buy a dress for a wedding that I am attending tomorrow. Tried on three dresses but nothing "was right." I hate dress shopping. Everything has beads, baubles, and attempts at unique designs. I just want a non-clingy, empire waisted dress [preferably olive green, but I'll go for other colors too]... doesn't seem like a lot to ask for but is near-impossible to find.

I ended up leaving the mall with nothing but a cinnamon-sugar Wetzel pretzel in my hand. Soft, sugary pretzels always make me feel better about failed shopping expeditions.

While sitting in my car and eating the pretzel, a few mall-thoughts came to mind:

1] Why do people get out of their car and light a cigarette when they are on their way to entering the mall? I saw a guy do this in the parking lot. It doesn't make much sense... in about 500 steps or so, you'd be at the mall entrance and would have to put out the cigarette anyway.

2] Why do women bother to take their husbands/boyfriends shopping with them if it can be clearly seen that the guy hates shopping? I saw a girl walking around the dress department and overheard her say, "No, this dress is like the other one I wore to a different wedding, only this one is more pink" [or something like that]. The guy just seemed perplexed about why she would be buying a dress similar to another dress that she owns at home. In general, he didn't seem to be into the whole shopping experience. So why bring him along?

3] Why do people drive around and around the parking lot numerous times, just to get a "good spot"? The time that it takes to find a "good spot" and wait for a car to pull out is far longer than the amount of time it would take to park at a more desolate spot and walk a little farther.

4] Why do the perfume spritzers act like fragrance assassins? When I walk into a dept. store, I immediately veer away from the spritzer people. They're quite pushy. It's annoying. I do this same veer-away process in any store where the salespeople are a little pushy. Then again, if no one tried to greet me at the door and ask me if I needed help, I'd bitch that the store sucked. I guess there's no way to win for question #4.

Tomorrow will resemble a Mission Impossible movie. Wedding is at 4pm, travel time to wedding is 45 minutes, must find dress before wedding--can it be done?

2 comments:

Kat said...

what's unitedstreaming?

Mrs. Leifer said...

I hope you found the perfect dress. There's nothing like waiting until the last minute. Although I love to shop, shopping for me is always a nightmare. I have gained so much weight over the past few years that I hate clothes shopping. Nothing ever fits. I have resorted to buying stuff that I don't really like just because it is my size. I can't believe I just admitted that. Anyway, the pretzel thing is what I do when I have a bad shopping experience, except it is usually with a cinnabun. Hmmm, I guess I just keep making things worse. Keep eating and nothing will fit.