Monday, April 23, 2007

Paper Pet Peeves

I've always been a searcher--- I love tracking down obscure book titles; I love reading references made in other books and learning extra information; I like the whole process of research.

For weeks, I've had tons of journal articles and books at my disposal. I can't complain too much about the messiness of the apartment because right now our bedroom looks like a library...moreso than usual. There's piles all over-- journal artices, MSU books, public library books, & comic books. Whenever I write a paper, I always feel the need to have TONS of resources, half of which I don't even end up using. Better to have more info, than less---that's my theory.

I'm @ the library now. I'm annoyed. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to write a measly 3 pages! And of course, I put myself into a quandary. Found another journal article that I "must have" and can't find the full text version online. Guess I could purchase it but I'd rather just drive to a library and get the publication off of their shelves.

I guess I haven't waited until the very last minute, but to me, this is close enough. Don't know why I do this to myself. I guess if people understood why they procrastinated, then they would no longer procrastinate.

Funny thing is I just got an email from a student. She "forgot" to bring her vocab assignment sheet home and even though I gave her class a week for the assignment, she said she waits until the last minute because she does better that way. She wants an extension... one extra day. I guess in my moment of procrastination, I feel sympathy for her... "I can relate."

Anyway, the paper's coming along fine and all... How's everyone else doing?

1 comment:

Kat said...

Good. I'm glad to see that you are working so hard on the paper. But you did not wait until the day before. Keep it going.