Saturday, April 21, 2007

Thoughts on the course

At first, when I found out this class was going to be hybrid/online, I wasn't looking forward to it all that much. It's not that I am anti-tech or anything, but I do enjoy the whole classroom experience quite a bit---talking face and face with intelligent adults---a delightful contrast to my workweek full of middle schoolers. I've also always been leery of online classes--- I've known people that have gotten their entire degrees online and the whole thing just seems like a sham. In comparison to my grad classes, it didn't seem like they had as much work.

Anyway, the class turned out to be an excellent experience. In retrospect, coming to MSU's campus every Saturday morning would have been annoying. The fact that we could do a lot of the work @ our own convenience was good. I found comfort in the fact that others would post for the week at late times at night. The online experience was great b/c there was constant feedback and interaction. I liked reading the blogs of our class members--whether the blog entries connected to in-class readings, free time activities, or just pet peeves about students. The discussion board also worked well and helped clarify some things that we were studying. With the discussion board, you could go back every other day or so and see the new additions and thoughts on class readings. If something was confusing, the Discussion Board was a resource; it was also easy to email class members and/or Dr. Dana for feedback.

Since our class was about new literacies, I liked how new literacies were incorporated into our course readings. In Adolescent Lit [last summer], I had Dr. D and we had to read Understanding Comics in there too. Um, I never got through the whole thing:( This semester I tried again and got through the whole book. McCloud takes so many complex ideas and really makes them user-friendly. I think I'd even go back sometime and try to reread it; while he simplifies things quite a bit, I still don't have all of the book's concepts "downpat." I have some other McCloud books that I might read after the course too. The Web 2.0 YouTube clip was also helpful in understanding class material and was a good break from some of the more difficult readings.

One of the biggest mindset changes in me throughout this semester was in regard to video games and online gaming. I've always known there is learning potential in video games (i.e. critical thinking skills, creativity, etc) but I honestly have always thought that they would ultimately lead to people being anti-social. After reading the article "Children Online," from this semester's readings, I did change my mind about video games. I can see how they can incorporate social networking and how users can form mini-communities, in connection to their online games.

This course also came right in time because I recently got a Smartboard and laptops in my classroom. For months before the spring semester, that Smartboard stood in front of my room, not turned on or connected. As soon as this course started, I found myself more open-minded in regard to tech in the classroom. I've started using it and have incorporated UnitedStreaming videos and music/poetry activities into my classroom. I've had the students use the laptops to create presentations too. Previously, I guess I was "scared" they would go to inappropriate sites or something, even though I'd give them assigned sites to go to. I know have realized I just have to "go with the flow;" if they make the choice to go somewhere inappropriate, then I deal out the consequences, just like usual.

I could see myself using the Comic Life software with my students. I think they'd have a lot of fun with it.

I'd like to use blogging with my students in the near future. I think it'd work great with novel units. Students tend to detest comprehension question sheets, but if I don't hand them out, then some students don't read. If the students had to blog in response to the chapters, it would be more meaningful and since the blog posts would be individual, you'd lessen the chance of kids "copying" from one another.

Overall, this class has been a positive experience.
[I know that's a pretty lame ending sentence, but it's just been "one of those weeks."

No comments: