Sunday, April 29, 2007

Fox Sports Grill + Girlie Music

I don't like to exclusively classify things according to gender, but Fox Sports Grill seriously has girlish music that they play. LAME girlish music. We went to Palisades Park Mall yesterday---feels like we go there far too often, but it's only 40 minutes away and has so much stuff in it! Being that it was a Saturday night, the whole earth was waiting on line at all of the restaurants.

We decided to go to the Sports Grill place. They have this room where you can wait in---there's a fireplace going and a HUGE TV with a sports game playing. We went into the room to wait for our seats and suddenly I heard Heart's "All I wanna do is make love to you." This song has amusing significance for me---in elementary school we used to place this music game all the time... The music teacher would split the class into two teams. Each team would be given a word and the first team to come up with a song title including that word + artist would get a point. Once we were playing and the word was "love." As a kid, I listened like crazy to the radio. This is before CD players and downloading music so sometimes I'd sit there and WAIT and WAIT for a new favorite song to come on---Immediately, I'd press record when I heard the song's opening and then I'd tape it.

Anyway, I knew that there was a Heart song with "love" in it. I said I wasn't sure if my answer was appropriate so the teacher told me to whisper the title in her ear... which, in retrospect, is even creepier. Can't remember if my team got the point or not.

Anyway, it was hilarious. There were all these guys watching this baseball game, intensely, and in the background there was this cheesy Heart song playing. I jokingly was singing along to it... still know all the words. No one seemed to notice.

The experience got weirder as we were seated for our meal. Within the timespan of our meal, we heard: a Jon Secada song, Mariah Carey's version of "I'll Be There," "Free Your Mind" by En Vogue!!!, that cheesy Cardigans' one hit wonder "Lovefool," "Standing Outside a Broken Phonebooth..." by Primitive Radio Gods, and Salt n Peppa's "Let's Talk About Sex." No one else seemed to notice the music. I don't know what's weirder---the fact that I know the title/artist of all those songs OR the fact that all of them were playing in a "sports themed" restaurant.

Nope, they're definitely weirder than me...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A girlie sports grill? Do you think it's run by lesbians or gay guys? Oh, I bet it's run by a guy, who takes orders from his wife, whom is the "fun factor"/decorator. Like Hillary Clinton...only I don't think she was much fun. Yeah, that woman probably took over by now!

Mrs. Leifer said...

Well forget the music. I love their chili. It is the best with filet mignon inside. Delicious. I live only 15 minutes from there and considering it is the only theatre in town, we are frequently there.