Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Appearance Updates

The sun is glorious today! I am sitting outside in a “beach chair;” the beach chair is on the concrete sidewalk of my apartment complex. Additionally, I am on my laptop. It must be a sight to see… I don’t know--- do people sit outside and “enjoy” nature while getting technology involved? Seems like contrasting things that are mingling…

I’m outside, trying to even my tan/sunburn. I went to the beach at Seaside Heights on Saturday. I applied a large amount of sunblock to my face; the whole sunburn/peeling effect is very unattractive, especially when it occurs on your face. I wanted to get some color on my arms and legs, so I left them sans-sunblock. Well- the result was that my legs got burrrrrnnned[I hardly ever wear shorts so the last time my legs saw daylight was probably in 6th grade, with the exception of my crazy-cargo-shorts-era in freshman year of college]. My arms generally have a bit of color to them; the pink collided with the previous semi-tan color, making my arms and orangeish hue. So now I am outside, trying to balance everything out. This will end badly, I’m sure.

I got a haircut yesterday—a hairstyle actually. The hairdresser who always does my hair, Donna, understands my beauty language: “Um…cut off whatever is dead… I want layers but minimal layers…nothing too noticeable.” Yesterday she asked, “Cut it like usual?” and I replied, “Yes.” It is wonderful…she understands my crazy concept of beauty and low-maintenance haircuts. Well, I came home with a new style, I’d say. I haven’t had my hair cut since April so tons of “dead stuff” needed to be cut- it’s now a little longer than chin length, with lots of layers; the layers are definitely noticeable. I’m loving it. I feel like I look different. I do have an upcoming concern though--- the first washing. Oh, I hate it. You try doing the hair on your own and it looks cruddy. I think that the beauty industry gives special appliances and products to hair salons. No matter what you previously looked like, once the hairdresser uses those special products on you, you look amazing. You leave the salon and feel like a new person, maybe even compare yourself to a movie star. Then you come home and style it yourself…you suddenly resemble Don King or Christina Aguilera [the "bad" Christina Aguilera, like when she was in the "Lady Marmalade" video].

I've already searched google for "celebrities" and "bad hair days;" there are tons of websites devoted to this subject matter. If I style my hair tomorrow and it looks atrocious, the first thing I will do is check out one of those sites:)

No comments: