Thursday, August 03, 2006

use of plethoria...

I was testing out the search functions on blogger.com and searched by keyword "plethoria." a bunch of blog entries came up, some of mine included. the funny thing was, when i clicked on the links, bloggers were using the word plethorIA as if it actually existed.

examples:

"visit at your own risk, you may never come back here, because of the embarrasing
plethoria of riches there."

"We have a plethoria of interested onlookers ready to provide all kinds of support and wisdom, we've just forgotten to ask-- just as we've forgotten how to find an answer in a rainstorm."

"Lovely Anne has a plethoria of persuasive platitudes to play with...{today i am using p words} Life is short. Make fun of it."

"Masterminded by their founder Peter Dabasi, Kolinda invites you to partake in their sometimes insane, sometimes beautiful, sometimes hypnotic world of Hungarian folk and gypsy prog which includes a plethoria of exotic instruments, ..."

Ok, so i created the blogger name plethoria to be "witty"- i know it isnt the most clever thing on earth. that's ok. but these people are actually using the word as if it is plethoria. am i a lit snob if i think it is funny? like...how could they not know the word is plethora?

but then again, i recall a time i was student teaching. one of the vocab words for the week was "permeated." i had seen the word several times in my life but had never actually heard it said aloud. i proceeded to say to the students, "ok our first word is permeated [i pronounced like PER- MEAT- ED, exactly like that]. one of the smart kids raised his hand and said, "isnt is
per- me- A- ted"? Quickly, i said, "yes, yes, but there are alternate pronounciations." i didnt want to seem like an idiot. but now i feel guilty- there are probably at least 15 kids walking around new jersey saying the word PER-MEAT-ED.

maybe a similar botched teaching experience occurred and made plethorIA an actual word.

on a side note, the sound of fake word "plethoria" reminds me of that 80s song, "gloria." we could substitute words and make a whole new hit:

You really don't remember, was it something that he said?
all the voices in your head calling, Plethoria?
Plethoria, don't you think you're fallin'?
If everybody wants you, why isn't anybody callin'?
don't you have to answer
Leave them hangin' on the line, oh-oh-oh, calling Plethoria
Plethoria (Plethoria), I think they got your number (Plethoria)
I think they got the alias (Plethoria) that you've been living
under (Plethoria)

Laura Branigan, singer of the 80s hit, could probably stand to make a few extra bucks.





3 comments:

tiffanyt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tiffanyt said...

You have got to keep blogging. You are sooooooooooooo funny. (Maybe stand-up comedy is your thing!!!)

Thanks for sharing your permeated story. Made me smile, laugh, and remember...

One summer during h.s., I read "Antigone"--totally on my own. 'Cause I never heard the name pronounced, I decoded what I knew: prefix "anti"; verb "gone." Thought of her as a dear friend: "Auntie Gone." Never gave her another thought till years later. I was teaching and the dept. chair asked if I have ever read (correct pronunciation) "Antigone."

"No, sorry," I said.

"No problem. Here are some notes," he said.

Imagine my shocked delight to discover my good old friend "Auntie Gone," only now with a new name. How I laughed. And how grateful I was that I had heard her name before I embarrassed myself mispronouncing it.

Never mind! ...I once was teaching adult basic ed English. Gave them a list of the top 100 misspelled words--and misspelled one of them. Even worse, I didn't think I had spelled it wrong; a student kindly called me on it. In the immortal words of Annie--Tomorrow. Tomorrow. I spell you tommorow. One “m”; 2 “r’s.” I’ll get you straight someday.


Have a blessed weekend!
bk

p.s. I just couldn't spell mispronounce, either.

tiffanyt said...

Cathrine--that is really good! Thanks for adding.

-----

Agreed, Dr. C!

Been hoping you'd update us on the scratches. Are you okay?

Michelle, please keep blogging! ...and please check your MSU email.

TAKE CARE, Everyone!~~~