Saturday, August 12, 2006

Giddy like a 12-year old girl!

My hands are still shaking… I went to see Pete Yorn do an in-store performance at Vintage Vinyl. I’ve liked him since his debut album came out in 20o1. I went to see him at the Birch Hill, which has since closed down. Of course---any place I like eventually closes or goes out of business. Anyway, my hands were shaking on the drive down to Fords. I could feel my heart beating super fast; it still is. I guess I was a little star struck, one could say. I’ve never met a musician in person before. I’ve met authors and poets before: BJ Ward, Donald Hall, Caroline Cooney, and David LuBar…but this was no comparison!


He played songs from his new album, and a cover of a Warren Zevon song, which I grew to love within 5 seconds of Pete Yorn playing it: "Splendid Isolation."

I want to live alone in the desert
I want to be like Georgia O'Keefe
I want to live on the Upper East Side
And never go down in the street
Splendid Isolation
I don't need no one

All while he was playing, I couldn’t take my eyes off of “The Mom.” “Mom” is a label that I give to any woman in her late 30s, who has the “Mom” haircut…usually a short hair-do, something that is so short that you think the woman will never have the ability to grow long hair again. I feel guilty for all of the women who I give the label "Mom" to who, in fact, are not Moms but just women who like low maintenance hair-dos. This Mom was rocking out to Pete, swaying and moving all around; she even made drumming motions with her hands. I just thought she was really cool--- uninhibited. The people around me, including myself, were standing there---we were swaying a little, nodding our heads softfully, but any spectator could tell we were restraining ourselves. I think the wildest I got was when I tapped my feet to the beat of the songs. I strive to be like “The Mom.”

After the performance, I got to meet Pete! Still, my hands were shaking. It’s just such an awesome feeling to enjoy someone’s artistic work from a distance, and then actually meet them.

Additionally, today's visit to Vintage Vinyl introduced me to a new artist...Before the in-store performance, a cover of Echo and the Bunnymen’s “Killing Moon” was playing. Me and another woman inquired about the song..apparently it is from a Grant Lee Phillips album, on which he covers other 80s songs, most of them on the borderline of obscure. I bought the CD and so did the other woman. It reminded me of the scene from Hi Fidelity where Rob plays Beta Band’s “Dry the Rain;” before playing it, he predicts that he will sell several copies of the album…because it is such an addictive song.

Coincindentally enough, the guy who told us about the Grant Lee Philiips album was also named Rob. [cue the creepy Twilight Zone music]….

On the drive home, I also turned my head to the right, in order to look at the person driving in the lane beside me. He looked back at the same time. I love when that happens. An instance like that is mentioned in one of Nicholson Baker's books, Fermata or maybe Mezzanine...but I love moments like that.



No comments: