Sunday, September 17, 2006

Nostalgia

I feel like I've posted an entry called "Nostalgia" before...

Nostalgia is something I've been thinking about for the past few months. I guess part of it is that all of this 1980s stuff is coming back into style, so I am constantly surrounded by styles and fads that I grew up with. I was only 10 years old at the end of the 80s decade, so I never got the chance to dress goofily with outfits like polka dotted leggings and off-the-shoulder shirts. I definitely had the crazy flourescent Wigwam socks though...classic!

It's nice to see stuff from my childhood...again. Like snap on bracelets....I saw those advertised in a catalog recently. I recall when the snap on bracelets were a trend/safety hazard. Some idiotic kid managed to harm himself with the dumb bracelets, thus leading to a snap-on bracelet ban at schools across the country.

It's just weird to be at this point in my life...seeing fashions and trends in stores and thinking, "Wow, I remember that." I know that every generation probably says this but I think that the stuff from my childhood [music, clothes, TV shows, all facets of pop culture] rocked. This was the decade of: hair bands and sensitive ballads, Mr. Belvedere, Alf, Small Wonder [for years, rumors circulated that Billy Corgan from the Smasking Pumpkins played the lead character on Small Wonder....um....??], Uncle Jesse's mullet on Full House, the Tiffany and Debbie Gibson battle, Who's the Boss?, the Coreys, flourescent colored clothing, cassette tapes:), Mario Brothers, Skinnydippers [awesome cookie/chocolate combo!...Dunkaroos is a lame Skinnydippers imitation], Darryl Strawberry [before the drug problems, Jose Canseuco [before the steroids], that cool starry-night montage/HBO themesong, Dirty Dancing [I watched that movie every day after school for at least 2 years...it took until I was 15 or so before I fully understood the movie---"Penny got knocked up by Robby the kid," abortions, and such], and on and on....

I feel bad for the kids of 2000-2010...what a lame decade...

No comments: