Friday, September 08, 2006

Someone listened to me...and remembered!

Ok, first off...I swear to myself to myself that this will not turn into a blog about teaching reflections. I try to treat my job like most other "normal" jobs; I go to work, I work, and then I come home and work issues stay at work. When I bring stuff home to grade, the situation is obviously different but I have learned over the years that I need to make time for myself. I have my job and then I have my outside-job life. The two will inevitably mingle sometimes, but I try to avoid that.

But...this post is teaching-related.

Today, before the last period, a student ran into my room and said, "Remember last year when you said that you read somewhere that basketball was the sport where there were the most injuries?" I quizzically replied, "Um, I suppose?" The student went on to tell me that he thought about it and figured out why basketball was the most injurious sport...He actually remembered something I said... I don't even remember reading an article/blurb on sports injuries... I just found it bizarre, and it did make my day! Students always seem to vividly remember the non-class related things that we say. I remember my 8th grade teacher was obsessed with the word undulate. That's about all I remember of her....oh, and she said it was okay for us to call her "Mugs," the shortened version of her last name... I don't think I ever called her Mugs; I thought it was weird. Plus, I was one of those super serious students... calling a teacher "Mugs"? Not in my world. My 9th grade teacher was a spaz who had a mythology mobile in the corner of her classroom and would pretend to converse with Greek gods and goddesses. A history teacher during my junior year slammed the door and left the room after shouting at us for not participating enough.

Today was a good day...

but damn, why did this beautiful weather have to arrive just as school got back into session?

No comments: