Sunday, September 24, 2006

Selling my eggs on ebay

For all of my life, I have been set on not having children. I've joked to friends and family about how I want to sell my eggs on ebay and make some cash. In retrospect, I can see how this is not the most funny thing to say. I still think it is amusing.

The fact of the matter is that even though I haven't had fertility tests or anything, I bet I am the most fertile person and would have no trouble getting pregnant. Unfortunately, I think that's how it tends to be. The people that desire children to no end have difficulty getting pregnant and/or carrying the baby to full term. The people like me who say, "Children? Nope, not ever me" are the ones who probably can easily get pregnant.

I've recently had a change of heart. I don't know exactly one factor that brought the change about. I used to joke that working at a middle school was like instant cause for birth control or sterilization. I mean, there are some "good kids," but there are some brats too..makes you think: what if my kid ended up like one of the brats?

But I am rethinking my whole I-don't-want-kids view. What scares me though is I have never even held a baby in my life. My family is so small; there were not constant occasions where there were babies being born and little kids running around. But I know if I got pregnant, I'd be the type to be reading any book out there on pregnancy or child-rearing. What to Expect When You're Expecting would constantly be in my hand.

Thinking about babies also brings up the fun topic of naming. John and I have talked about baby names. For girls, there aren't too many names that I like. Summer, Autumn, Desiree, and Veronica are favorites. I can't imagine a baby being called Veronica though--an older woman/seductress as Veronica, yes. But not a little baby.

For boy names, I like what John calls "gay names." I guess they are a little feminine for boys; the names I like aren't names you'd necessarily associate with future strong, brawny men: Evan, Ethan, Aidan, Jeremy, Joshua, Tobias, Justin, etc.

Out of curiosity, I looked at a website: www.babynamesworld.com. Some of the names they have on the site are awesome [a.k.a. "weird"]: Raechel [cool spelling of Rachel], Radley, Reese [I know...the name of a celeb, not a good idea].

Something that struck me as odd and completely dumb was this tidbit that the website had under the category of "Baby Naming Advice." First off, why would someone need advice on picking a name?!

Here it is: In an experiment done by Harari and McDavid, it was found that teachers grade a paper higher if written by a child with an ordinary name as opposed to an unusual or unpopular name as opposed to when they were led to believe that the child had an unusual or unpopular name (see: Harari, H. & McDavid, J.W. (1973).

So stupid! Enough about that.

What's funny is that years ago the most popular names were names like Michael, Heather, Jennifer, etc. Nowadays, its hip to name your baby something "unique." And it gets to a point that once everyone has the same unique names, that they just become usual names. I took a look at the top 50 baby names [boys' and girls' names for 2005]. A lot of my effeminate boys' names are included in the top 50...

Of the top names, here are my picks: Tyler, Olivia, Dylan, Ava [sooooo popular now], Gabriel, Benjamin, Zachary, and Alyssa.

Out of a separate conversation that John and I had, we decided we like Victor the best... but with a "k." We have to be a little unique. In John's words, "Victor means the winner, the victor. How could that not be a good name?" My thoughts too.

No comments: