Monday, October 02, 2006

academic readings....

Have the day off from work because of Yom Kippur...am using the holiest day of the Jewish year [information courtesy of wikipedia... what would I do without that site?] I am at the public library, reading for my grad class. Just read for 2 straight hours... it feels like much longer. I feel like I have been here for a myriad of hours....Myriad is a word that I see often in academic readings...It's like the writer even bored himself with his 500 line paragraph, so he decided to pop "myriad" into a random sentence.

I don't "get" academic readings; it's like there's a contest to create the most indecipherable language. Just because something is said in a simpler way does not make it "stupid."

I'm stopping with the reading for today... at this pace, I should finish reading my assigned books by....never.

The boredom of the academic readings has motivated me to go home, do some laundry, and listen to the swish of the washer machine.

No comments: