Friday, October 20, 2006

Myspace profile pics and self-esteem...woo hoo!.

I guess if I had to "classify" it, it would be called a pet peeve: I hate when people put up high school pics on their Myspace profiles [despite being WAY past high school age]. Then, you click onto their other profile pics and see "current" pictures of them, in which they resemble the earth's Oompa Loompa's of 2006... It's not even that it's "false advertising;" if it is your profile, you can do whatever you want. I just almost see it as being ashamed of yourself... especially if the high school pic is not simply nostalgic but is also a skinnier version of your current self.

I find entertainment in looking at people's pics on Myspace...not in a creepy way...just natural curiosity. I also like reading the obituaries, wedding announcements, and arrests/thefts/etc listings in the paper. Natural curiosity... and yes, I slow down when I see an accident on the highway. Simultaneously, I am cursing at all of the other drivers on the road, "Come on, what, you've never seen a fucking accident before...Move along, move along."

Yes...Myspace lurking is fun....

Been reading a book called Generation Me... basically about the kids born from 1980-current...also called iGeneration, Generation Y [lame!], or Generation Entitlement. The book points out how high self-esteem programs have actually been a disadvantage for our kids... now everyone feels great about themselves, in every aspect...not realizing/appreciating that you can be horrible at one thing but excel in other areas...nope, you're just wonderful no matter what. The book also mentions how kids feel like everything should just be given to them [even if they don't work for it]; that's what Generation Me is used to....
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The terms iGeneration and Generation Me make me think of Myspace.... I mean, your profile is like an advertisement of yourself...and of course, you have all sorts of fun pictures up and pictures of hobbies that YOU are into... what strikes me as odd is when all people have on their profile is "posed" pictures of themselves... is this egocentric, "high self esteem," or narcissism? I HATE pictures of me by myself... I like people [or cats!] in pictures with me....

The best image in the book is a color-by-# poster that has the words "YOU ARE SPECIAL" in the center. There are directions for which colors to use for which letters/spaces. Below the poster, the author has the caption of: "Remember, everyone is special. Maybe if you color the whole poster you can catch the irony."


:-P

No comments: