Thursday, July 26, 2007

Feelings on my 27th year

"It's my birthday!!!" (said in an annoying, loud, shrill like that of a 15-year-old wearing an I heart me shirt)

Today did officially suck. No birthday tragedies or anything...just a boring day. Worked at the library from 9-3, scurried to put finishing touches on a presentation/assignment for class, then went to class. Ended up that I didn't have to present tonight afterall because we ran out of time. That was kind of annoying but it's better I got the whole assignment out of the way before the weekend anyway. Will present next week. Tonight we're going to see the midnight showing of The Simpsons movie... since I've watched the show since 4th grade, I feel I owe it to myself to see the movie. I can't believe that show has been on for SO long. I literally grew up with it.

Back to birthday talk...I guess as you get older, birthdays aren't that big of a deal. I know women freak out about getting older; I don't really understand why. No one says just because you're 40, you have to get a "mom haircut" and "let yourself go."

My birthday years have kind of gone backwards actually, in terms of how I regard myself. Ages 14-19 sucked royally. I was fat, had acne, had no sense of style whatsoever, was shy and weak-ish, and had horrible hair. You can tell these years were miserable because my photo album isn't as full as it could be for those given years.

Late 19 and on have been pretty good... I lost weight by basically eating TONS of salad and fruit... and all you can eat sort of regimen... and just feel better about myself. I think I'm less reserved now and even a little bit feisty, at appropriate times. 1st year of teaching was horrible, but other than that, things are fine.

Now at 27, I can look at myself and see an attractive YOUNG woman... both physically and mentally... there's tons of things I want to improve about myself, but not too much I would change if I could.

To repeat that cliche, I've heard countless times (which someone has inevitably written to me via email or bday card): "Hope this year's the best one yet!"

1 comment:

DrDana said...

I didn't start to understand age phobia until 30.. . and then all of a sudden I did. That was a big milestone for me, and realizing I would never be 30 again was strange and sad, a little bit.

This year is 34, and I wonder what it holds?