Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pedometer nerd

To show my nerd status, let me first say that I enjoy how prefixes and roots create words. For example, the "ped" means "foot" and "meter" refers to "measurement," thus leading to a device that measures footsteps. I guess it was some time last year that there was this real push to get us sedentary Americans to walk more---at least 10,000 steps a day. Pedometers were sold everywhere, real cheap too. For awhile McDonald's even sold a "fitness meal" (kind of like a Happy Meal, but for obese adults instead of the kiddies). I don't know if they still sell it. With the exception of my consumption of McDonald's surged by intoxication a few months ago, I haven't had McDonald's since I saw Super Size Me. Anyway, the fitness meals came with a free pedometer, an incentive to start making the oath to walk 10,000 steps a day and get on track to better fitness.

On a sidenote, I've heard (I think from that Super Size Me doc.) that McDonald's puts sugar in their foods, even their "healthy" foods. Don't know how healthy the fitness meals really are.

Anyway, back to the topic. Ok, on our recent vacation, I drove everyone crazy. I had my pedometer on all the time, seeing if I made the 10,000 step mark. For the most part, I did do the 10,000 steps (5 miles!) daily, just from walking on the boardwalk and walking into town to shop.

I wore my pedometer today to see how much I walk during a typical day. Had a workshop at school and was walking around the building at various times. Had a class at Montclair and was walking around campus, to the bookstore, library, and then to class. At the foodstore, I purposely parked far away so as to walk a little more. It i now 9:15, the end of my walking for the day, and I've only gone 8,717 steps (about 4 miles). I know it's not a big deal and I am obviously getting a bit obsessive, but the whole thing just makes me realize---- if during the "typical" day, I moderately walk around and do not make this 10,000 step minimum, what about people who are truly sedentary? Or what about those days when I stay inside and watched 3 movies in a row, doing nothing else all day? God, no wonder why so many Americans are overweight.

Ok, so I don't have time tonight to fix the under 10,000 step debacle but...I think from now on I am going to make a promise to myself to get in the 10,000 steps daily...the 10,000 steps will NOT include working out at the gym-- that's extra.

What a blah post--although there was some foreshadowing, being that the title of the post was "Pedometer nerd."

'Til another time...

No comments: