Friday, August 31, 2007

Back to school...

I can't EVER complain about having summer vacation. I thought about this today as I drove home in 5:00 traffic. Peering in other car windows (because why should I keep my eye on the road?), I noticed tons of sad/pissed off/annoyed faces. Color is washed from people's complexions and they just sit, stone-faced, waiting for the next traffic light to change or the next car lane to move a bit faster. Working 9-5 has to SUCK...especially during summertime when there's beautiful weather.

I keep hearing people say, "The summer went so fast; I can't believe it's over." People always make statements like that---statements about how quickly time passes. Come October, people will comment, "I can't believe how the weather has changed." Come November, you'll hear "Can you believe it is already November? Before you know it, it'll be Christmas."

I feel like summer passed at just the right pace...not super fast, but certainly not at snail's rate slowness either.

So, summer wrap up. Went to Ocean City for the last week of June. Enjoyed some beach time and pigged out on every indulgence known to man. Spent July taking a summer class which, for the most part, was "painless." Went to the beach 2 more times, all day and for Sunday night movies-on-the-beach. Went to see Poison! For August, went to the beach 2 more times. Saw Lisa for the first time in a full year and things were just like they always were---good times. Went karaoking at a gay bar---rite of passage. Read a few books. Worked part-time at the library. Went to the Def Leppard concert...the last "real" tailgating extravaganza before the whole Ozzfest arrests/ two deaths debacle. If PNC gets rid of the tailgating concept altogether, I will be so pissed. In between these "big events," was more relaxation.

It was a good, relaxing summer. I wish I had gone to the beach more though. I swear, when I lived in Toms River, I never took advantage of being so close to the beach. Now that I am up in North Jersey, I miss it so much...

Feel semi-ready for next week. I can't believe it is my 6th year in the same teaching position! That makes me feel a lot more comfortable. While I am always adapting lesson plans/ideas, it's good to KNOW the material I am teaching and have past experiences with ideas on how I will teach that material. This year, I am thinking about having a class reading blog. I don't want it to be a graded activity...just an arena where students can post comments on favorite books, movie adaptations, comment on movie adaptations, songs, etc. Also might incorporate Thornton Wilder's Our Town into the Reading course. Am looking into new teen-ish books to add to my course. Am not exactly excited about starting work again...I like sitting around, reading, and sleeping in...but if I have to do something, teaching works for me.

Don't plan on sitting in benny traffic this weekend but next weekend... I think I will make a beach trek. Gotta keep up with the tan:)

No comments: