Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Warcraft Ben

Before delving into Warcraft Ben, let me just say that E! channel is playing Pleasantville for probably the 10th time this week. I LOVE this movie....

Warcraft Ben has been a "fixture" at the library where I work for over a week---it's official. Last Monday night, during my 5-8pm shift, I noticed him. The remainder of the week he came into the library for hours on end. It was bizarre---I'd be there for a 4 hour shift and so would Warcraft Ben. Sitting at a table smack dab in the middle of the library, hovered over his computer, eyes squinted to the screen, face contorted into a look of intensity. He had greyish crazy hair---think Albert Einstein. He had greyish crazy hair, but this week he got a haircut and looks less wacky and even "handsome." He's young...I can't pinpoint the age though; I'm horrible at that. Not young as in 20s, but young as in he has grey hair but isnt 40+. Maybe mid 30s. Wow, I guess I can tell I am getting older if mid 30s if I easily classify mid 30s as young. He usually has on a dress shirt and khakis, as well as the type of blazer or jacket that a university professor would wear.

Last week, toward the end of the week, I finally got a glimpse of what he was so engrossed in. I saw a colorful moving screen, chatting at the bottom of the screen, and ... recognized it as Warcraft. Whereas I previously thought he was a weirdo, I now had some sort of perspective on him. John plays Warcraft and is on the computer ALL the time. I, in a smartass way, asked, "Can't you just play for an hour and then stop?" He went into a diatribe on how the game is played in real-world-time and just because you stop playing doesn't the game stops. I guess I can relate...kind of...despite the fact that it was released in the early 90s, I still am quite obsessed with Tetris. I play it on John's DS Lite. At this point, I've destroyed the DS Lite and as of yesterday it wasnt working. I could play Tetris on the Gamecube but for some insane reason, I quite enjoy ruining my eyesight on the 4" x 4" screen.

Back to Ben.

Saw him again today. The guy is totally nice and "normal" with the exception of the fact that he comes to the library in work clothes and is playing Warcraft all day. Can't figure it out. Skipping out from work to go to library and play Warcraft? Doesnt make sense. Playing Warcraft at library to hide addiction from girlfriend? Maybe...

Anyway, the guy fascinates me. Today someone sneezed and amidst the SILENCE of the library, Warcraft Ben said "Bless you," loudly. When he left tonight ...at closing time...with the rest of the staff...he got into a bright red Acura sporty car. Weird. I would've taken him for a Corolla or Prius type of guy.

And...his name isn't really Ben. Just my name for him. I always envision Benjamins as having curly hair... and just being calm, introverted types. So until his real name is exposed, he shall remain as Warcraft Ben.

No comments: