Tuesday, August 21, 2007

RAIN!!!!

Once again, another day filled with rain. Rainy days crack me up. People go into a frenzy. The roads are suddenly chaotic. Stores are filled with people because god forbid you stay inside and "read" on a bad-weather day. Then there's the other side of the spectrum. People who think that if rain hits their body that it will somehow turn them to ice or a stone statue. Those people stay at home ALL day, watching channel 61 weather channel, silently urging the rain to stop.

Today I read for a little bit. Am now reading Brighton Beach Memoirs. John's mom always talk about it so I decided to read it. I like it. Yes, what a thought-provoking statement. What I like best is how when I read it, I can hear each of the characters in my mind. Yes, I know that this is an element of reading---the whole imagination "thang"---but if the author writes like shit, then it is less likely you will be able to imagine scenes and characters' voices. Will have to try to some more Neil Simon plays.

Also made a trek to Kohls for some "back to school" shopping. So did the rest of NJ. The store wasnt crowded; that wasn't the problem. It was just that every piece of clothing that I liked was not available in my size.

Clothing stores, in general, annoy me. I think because more Americans are oevrweight that the stores are adjusting their sizes. For the most part, I take a medium or even sometimes a small in shirts. There is NO WAY that in reality I am a medium...but I think clothing stores are just making clothing bigger and putting smaller size #s on them.

Another thing that frustrates me is the whole misses, ladies, womens, petites, juniors, etc categories. Why are junior sizes odd numbers and "regular" sizes even numbers? I just try on whatever I like--keep it simple...kind of.

I don't know- I have this extremely dumb theory about obesity and "years ago." When I think back to when I was a kid, they didnt have tons of LARGE sizes. They didn't have teen plus-size stores such as Torrid. I recall once having to buy Husky-brand boys' jeans because they didnt have my size in girls' jeans. In short, years ago, if you were fat, you were stylistically screwed.

Now you can be a size 26W and find "trendy" clothing. I think that it's good...but also bad. My stupid theory is that because there were not tons of readily available plus-size clothing stores years ago that it somehow kept people in a certain body-frame category. I don't know if the so-called theory makes sense.

Anyway, I ended up getting a skirt for work (size 6...HELLO...i am not "really" a size 6). And I got a shirt for John. I love shopping for guys' shirts... so easy...small, med, large, XL...no intelligence required.

On an ending note, I have a strange urge to hear Danzig's "Mother." I might just finally cave in to Itunes and buy something. Usually I prefer just buying a whole album...but..not in this case.

No comments: