Wednesday, July 19, 2006

fascination with a little ol' place off of rt 46....

Since I have been in this area [about 4 years], I have been fascinated with a bar that is off of rt 46 West in the Little Falls area. Every time I drive home from class, I pass the bar on my way home. I want to just stop on in and see what it is like! It's set back from the highway quite a bit and the letters in "Great Notch Inn" are lit up in bright red. Sometimes the bar's parking lot is near-empty; tonight it was totally filled. Driving by, all I could see was a collage of chrome...tons of motorcyles... I'm guessing it is a "biker bar."

I've always heard the word "biker bar" used, but I don't know exactly what that means. I am reminded of the bar that Pee Wee Herman visits in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. My uncle is a "biker guy," a proud owner of a Harley who has taken countless road trips across the country on his bike.

I went to the Great Notch Inn's website... the fascination continues. On the website's menu, they have a listing of all of the beers available at their bar.It's all pretty generic beer, so I find it amusing that time has been taken to actually list the beers. Additionally, they have a schedule of bands that are playing there- band names included Slippery Chicken, The Raunchtones, and Butterball. I am mystified even more!!!

We talked about cliques and groups tonight... and about spatial theory. I can only imagine what area of the bar I would find myself in if I visited Great Notch Inn. I should ask my friend, Jaime, to go with me...she's "game"- it would be entertaining. One time, in the city, we unknowingly ended up at the Coyote Ugly bar. Now there was an experience!

On an endnote, we have been discussing feminism and gender roles in class. The bar's website has a quote of the day...what a coincidence...today's quote relates to women and men:

"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." ---Timothy Leary

Hahaha...amusing.

No comments: