Monday, July 10, 2006

Stood up again [him, not me]

I am lovin' bloggin'. I keep getting new ideas for posts all the time...just general everyday life "stuff," but I guess that's the point of the blog.

Well, I stood up Dr. Coles again.... but I have an excuse for why I "stood him up" yesterday. I was in the city, at BODIES: THE EXHIBITION. John and I NEVER go into the city, but this exhibition was something we were both interested in. Nothing ever gets done unless I do the planning, and I am not too skilled at planning anyway. On Friday, I ordered the tickets. Yesterday, we left bright and early....um 11am... and took the train to Penn Station. Easy. Once at Penn Station, ugh! Figuring out the subway was close to impossible. John was getting angry and I felt helpless. I knew the number of the train we needed to take but, once underground, the whole subway system is an enigma. We were standing at an area labeled "2 and 3" trains, yet the only trains that kept arriving were labeled "1."

We finally made it to the exhibition. I definitely have to say that BODIES: THE EXHIBITION was an intense experience. At the beginning of the exhibit, there are bodies in motion- you can see the different muscles and how they work together/affect one another. Most of the "specimen" were male bodies, which I thought was odd....although these bodies were donated to science. I don't know why, but donating your body to science seems like more a "male" thing to do.

The most "emotional" rooms were the rooms for the reproductive system and for fetal development. They even had a "warning" sign for the fetal development room, giving an alternate exhibition route if you wanted to skip that room. I guess those two rooms were so emotional to me because both rooms deal with the cycle of life and how that cycle can be demolished at any time.

Overall, the exhibit made me even more aware of how complex our bodies are. I never was good in science/biology- the mechanics of the body endlessly perplex me. But this exhbition made me realize how if I am given such an amazing gift- these organs, arteries, veins, everything working together succinctly- that I need to take care of it. This is not an idea that has just come to me. Sometimes this gratitude for being alive is my motivation for exercise..sure, I hate it and it is boring and I'd rather be doing something else...but if 30 minutes a day helps sustain this amazing "body machine," then I might as well do it....

Today's goals:
1] laundry /Coles book [Coles is my forced entertainment while being at the laundromat. Inevitably, someone will come up to me and say, "Looks like you're reading for class" or "You're reading that pretty seriously, must be schoolwork"- this ALWAYS happens... I don't know what I look like when I read, but I must have some kind of intense look on my face...people always question me about my reading material]
2] respond to Coles...at last!
3] exercise...

No comments: