Sunday, July 23, 2006

understanding [frustration] comics....

I am in the process of reading Understanding Comics. When I saw this title on the syllabus, I thought, "This is going to be such an easy read. Only about 200 pages, and done in comic book style--- simple!" I started the book last week and am feeling quite frustrated with it. I think that Scott McCloud's idea, to turn a book about comics for novices into an actual comic book, is quite intelligent but... I've read comics already... I feel like he is getting so detailed with talking about the history of comics and HOW you should read them.

For me, initially, comics were a struggle to read. Whereas most readers are pulled into the storyline by the fascinating artowork, I would find myself being distracted by the art. I soon got over that struggle. I have also read some Manga too. At first, I hated making the adjustment to how the Manga-style books are written. Then, I eventually got used to it and was able to read at a faster pace. No one had to instruct me on how to read these books or how to interpret the frames or blank space between the frames--- I just knew.

It just seems silly to me, reading a book about how to read a book. I mean, there are tons of "how to" books out there, so it isn't as if McCloud's concept for a book is different than any of those other how-to books. I suppose I would just rather read some new comic titles, just plunge in and explore what's out there. After I read a chapter in McCloud's book, I find myself struggling to recall what I just read. I've started taking notes on some of his ideas but that just seems odd; I think the last thing McCloud would want his readers to be doing is taking notes.

1/2 left... and counting.

No comments: