Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Morality: I'll eventually surrender and get a dictionary definition....

It was interesting how we were discussing morality the other evening and how none of us could "define" it. It's obviously a noun... but we couldn't get much past that summation, when trying to create a defintion for it.

I think that it is far simpler to define immorality, rather than morality. When I sense that something is immoral, I get an uncomfortable feeling in my body; there is a physical reaction. It is kind of like that gulping sensation in your throat, when something scares you. Additionally, it is easier to pinpoint something as being "bad." It's the same as when you discuss people that you know. It is so much easier to describe someone and point out their negative qualities- because the negative is always so prominent. Plus, I think that most of us revel [even if we don't admit it] in the negative qualities of others; those negative qualities make us feel superior.

In today's society, we are constantly shown images of immorality. I'm thinking of the 5:00 news: murders, public [or private, but discovered] affairs, theft, lying, and so on. Rarely, are examples of morality depicted on the news.

To me, morality is: [noun] the act of doing what is "right" or "good," according to general assumptions about what is "right" or "good."

Like a dictionary definition, the above definition is vague... it's like when you ask someone a question and they kind of answer it, but not really. You're left sitting there, pondering the same question that you asked in the first place.

When I think of morality, one of the pieces of literature that I am reminded of is Faulknor's "A Rose for Emily." The story has scattered pieces left in my mind... all I recall is an old woman who dies and is left alone. I guess that to me, that is "immoral." Surely, there had to be someone in the old woman's neighborhood who knew her, who could have been a friend to her.

I reread the story online and my recollections returned. In the story, the townspeople seem to be obsessed with talking about Miss Emily, behind her back of course. They talk about how she doesn't pay her taxes; they complain about a putrid odor emanating from her home; they "feel" sorry for her but never act upon their feelings; they pity her and say "Poor Emily;" and when she requests to purchase arsenic at the pharmacy, no one really questions her. It is even mentioned that, "So THE NEXT day we all said, "She will kill herself"; and we said it would be the best thing."

At the end of the story, Miss Emily dies alone... we find out that her husband died awhile back [she killed him with the arsenic]- his body has been in her house for years.

To me, I think of the issue of morality when I think of this story because, all along, Miss Emily clearly needed companionship and love of the people around her. They constantly spoke about her behind her back; sometimes they "seemed" to be concerned, but they never acted upon their concern. To me, that show a lack of morality, or goodness, in the townspeople.

We could go on and on for days, interpreting why Emily kills her husband-to-be... but clearly, she does not kill him out of maliciousness. She is clearly a disturbed woman and for years, no one has comforted her or even sought out help. And despite nobody visiting her over the years or trying to intervene in her life, the WHOLE town comes to her funeral... "the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house."

"A Rose for Emily" leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling. It also reminds me of a documentary that I got from Netflix today: A Certain Kind of Death. The documentary revolves around the question of: "What happens to people when they die and have no 'next of kin'?"

As humans, as neighbors, as people- we are supposed to love one another. We don't live in a perfect world and thinking that everyone will love one another is a thought for fools. But the idea of a person dying alone, despite being surrounded by people in a neighborhood or other community... there's something wrong with that....

I feel as if I am rambling on and on. I am going to take the easy way out and end with the dictionary definition of "morality:"

n 1: concern with the distinction between good and evil or right and wrong; right or good conduct [ant: immorality] 2: motivation based on ideas of right and wrong [syn: ethical motive, ethics, morals]

Hmmm...that didn't help all too much either. What IS right? What IS wrong?

1 comment:

tiffanyt said...

Greetings, Michelle!

Another thoughtful/thought-provoking blog. THANK YOU!

One line especially struck me:

I think that it is far simpler to define immorality, rather than morality.

You know, I think you've articulated an important "truth."

Like you, I found any formal definitions not really to "do it."

Maybe we can turn your observation into a working definition (of sorts):

Moral is whatever is not immoral.

When all is said and done, while it's hard to say, I think we know, as so many of us bloggers said, when something immoral is done.

Moral makes us more human (actor and recipient of action); immoral, both less so.

Maybe we need to define what it means to be fully human.

I've been thinking about the upsetment you expressed Monday nite about the "exhibit" you had seen. In some ways, I guess, you found it de-humanizing.

THANK YOU, again, for your continued excellent posts.

bk