Thursday, December 08, 2011

Decline of Civilization

Last night, I went to the school's band concert. Walking into the gym area (where the "stage" was set up) was a bit of a downer. Only about 50% of the chairs were filled. I arrived just as the "Star Spangled Banner" was playing; I entered by the gym's back entrance and sat in one of back rows. I basically occupied the last "person-filled"row. Behind me, there was about 20 other empty rows.

Apparently, during school band concerts, the back area of the gym is representative of the utter decline of civilization. A few rows ahead a little girl swayed back and forth, while standing, on an aluminum chair. I kept worrying about her falling over. Moreso, I worried how I would have to react since I was sitting so nearby. I am not too effective in emergency situations.

On the bleachers sat a child without a parent in sight. He was playing on a portable video game device. Rude enough, yes, but the game's volume was actually quite high. I could hear the PSP's noise even over the band's rendition of "Iron Man."

Also, a few rows near me, there was a woman who seemed to be rubbing the back of her son's head. She kept rubbing his head and seemed to be intertwining strands of his hair. There seemed to exist two possibilities explaining her odd behavior. She was either braiding small strands of his hair OR checking his hair for insects or parasites, much like a tribal member of yore. 

Additionally, there was this man, thin and with a small moustache, who kept frantically waving to one of the children in the band. At one point, this man did some pseudo-sign language and gestured toward himself, mouthing, "I love you" with great emphasis. 

Furthermore, throughout the concert, there was continuously some sort of noise or background chatter going on. 

It's just disturbing...and this behavior from a supposed "affluent" community. Affluence is obviously not synonymous with civility or class.

No comments: