Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hoarders also host parties

So, we are hosting a New Year's Eve party this Saturday. My friend Jen asked, "What's your menu,?" to which I replied, "Pizza and beer." I'll have more items beyond that but, honestly, my friends are not Hoboken yuppies who are expecting homemade sushi and complicated cocktails. Food for the event is fairly easy. Decorations are definitely easy--and something I actually am looking forward to.

There does remain one stumbling block though: a clutter-free house.

When I watch episodes of Hoarders, I sometimes do see a little bit of myself within the people on the show. I too don't always throw boxes away because, hey, you may need them sometime. The 2 bucks you'd have to pay for a USPS box dominates over the space that boxes will take up in one's home. Also, I definitely do hold onto some items for sentimental reasons. It took about 3 times of playing trash-tug-of-war before I finally threw out my black Converse shoes. They were filthy and the laces were shredded to pieces, but my reason for wanting to keep them was that I wore them on my honeymoon and they had "red dirt" from Kaui on them. Kind of ridiculous reasoning, when I think in retrospect.

Today, I ALMOST threw out my red/black patterned sarong style skirt. I have had this skirt for about 9 years and haven't worn it because it is "wrap style" and I fear having a wardrobe malfunction while wearing it. However, I want to keep it because I like the pattern and...that's about it.

John is taking our myriad of boxes to the recycling center today. I am going to work on organizing a bag of clothing and books for Good Will. One step at a time, as they say...

Fuck it-I'll donate the sarong skirt. I've owned the skirt for 1/3 of my life and have never worn it...it needs to be donated:)

But...here's a photo...for posterity. Actually, now that I look at the pattern, it's definitely matronly... not what I want to look like in my life, at this point.

No comments: