Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Roving eyes, but otherwise civil behavior

I went to the school's chorus concert tonight. The crowd's behavior was definitely better than it was during last week's band concert. I, however, was in the 4th row this time, whereas last time, I was among the (what is seemed) dregs of society in the back of the gym.

There was one point during the show when some of the dancers from a previous number came back out onto the risers, to sing with the rest of the chorus. A few of these girls had on extremely short skirts. The short skirts were black and contrasted with the either tan legs (from ladylike leggings or stockings) or bare, pale legs. As the girls, got onto the risers to perform the next song, I could see a small group of 8th grade boys' eyes moving with the girls' bodies.

I had a "mom moment" too; all I kept thinking was, If my daughter wore something like that and, simultaneously, If my son's eyes roved like that. At least, the eye roving seems more natural and "acceptable." I can't take the inappropriate clothing.

I guess I should just assume, at this juncture, that John and I will have an only child who is socially awkward and probably needs to be homeschooled because her mother will be nuts:)

No comments: